Happy New Year to all my followers! Normally we all think about resolutions to make for the New Year. Instead of resolutions, I suggest focusing on goals. Here are my five tips on how to achieve your career goals:
Use a pen and paper. Choose a small notebook you can carry with you to write down goals or ideas about how you want to take action on your goals.
Prioritize. I know, we all want to do so much, but prioritize what comes first and what will matter at 9am the next day.
Macro and micro goals. We all list out macro goals – big goals to work on. Break those macro goals down into micro goals. You could call it a step if you want to, but each micro goal, leads to achieving that big goal. For example, your goal is to look for new opportunities because you’re not happy with your current job. Here are three micro-goals to align with this goal.
- A) Break down and understand how to use LinkedIn effectively for job searching
- B) Sign up for email newsletters to attend networking events
- C) Create a master template of all your skills and background to work with creating a targeted resume for each opportunity you want to apply for.
Measure your goals. Identify a date or a number to track your progress. Let’s expand on the previous goal as an example:
- A) Break down and understand how to use LinkedIn effectively for job searching by February 12, 2016
- B) Sign up for email newsletters to attend networking events by January 25, 2016
- C) Create a master template of all your skills and background to work with creating a targeted resume for each opportunity you want to apply for. By February 29, 2016
Be active. This means taking action and not sitting on Netflix when you know working on your goals is more important.
Happy Goal Setting 🙂